Ever imagined how some bloggers became successful and popular while several others are still struggling to get to their spot?
Do successful bloggers know any secrets that you don’t know? Yes, they do!
Let me ask you a question, how did you feel when you had written your first blog post? Were you satisfied with what you wrote?
I bet, you wouldn’t have been!
Writing a blog post does not mean that you just type anything without providing any value to your readers.
Writing is an art, and it takes a lot of time to be an expert writer.
I will show you 11 secrets of writing that will help you become a better writer and also make you able to write epic blog posts.
Are you ready? Let’s go then…
#1. Be Useful and Create Valuable Content
You write a blog post to make your audiences’ lives better, solve their specific problems and provide information that they need. Right?
What if your content is not providing any value to your readers?
Don’t publish it, until it does.
If you want people to read your post and share it with their friends, then create valuable content.
No one will like to share a worthless content.
#2. Share your ideas and honest opinions
Ideas and honest opinions, this is what makes a set blogger to stand out from the crowd.
Remember, your audiences will always respect your valuable ideas and true opinions.
Here is, what I mean with opinions:
Suppose you have a health blog, then your blog should not only talk about workout plans.
Instead, you should tell your readers why you love to do that specific workout!
#3. Refine Your Blog Post
Keep in mind, your readers are busy people. Never write a long post until it is needed.
Cut off the words that are not making any sense or are redundant.
Writing a short 500 words quality post is better than writing a long post having 2000+ words without quality.
Before you hit the publish button, remove the words which do not provide any value to your readers.
#4. Remember Your Readers While Writing
One of the best ways to write a compelling blog post is to visualize your readers while writing.
Why should you visualize your readers while you write?
- It personalizes blogging experience – It’s like you are talking with the real person when writing.
- It keeps you on the track – Having a persona in your mind will help you understand your audiences’ requirements, pains, and problems.
- It helps you connect with your readers.
#5. Make Your Blog Post Skimmable
Today people are busy, and they don’t have much time to read a long post.
Only 16% people read the whole post word-by-word. An average person only understands 60% what they read.
Around 75% of people skim a post while reading.
Now the question is, is your post skimmable?
Here is an easy way to know it! Ask your friend to check out some of your posts and allow him/her only 15-30 seconds to read.
After 30 seconds, ask him what points he remembers…
You will quickly know how he has scanned your blog post.
Use the following tips to make your post skimmable:
- Use headings and subheadings – Headings and subheadings clear the main concept of the post quickly.
- Use Lists – Lists show your good knowledge about the particular subject.
- Make paragraphs shorter – I love short paragraphs! Not only because they look sweet, but also because they make reading easy. Keeping your paragraphs to 2-5 sentences will make it easier for the skimmers to find a place to jump in.
- Communicate visually with images – I guess you already know this quote: “A picture is worth a thousand words.”
Using a right photo in your post helps a reader understand what the post is about, without even saying a single word.
#6. Write Catchy Headlines
A title decides your blog post’s journey that if your readers will read your blog blog post or not.
You may ask why a title of a blog post matters?
Here are the answers:
- Blog post’s title do appear in the search engines
- Blog post’s title do appear in RSS FEED
- It helps the readers to understand what the post is about
- Blog titles increase CTR (click through rate)
How do you craft a blog post title that gets people to read the opening lines of your blog post?
- Show benefits of the users
- Create a controversy or debate
- Ask a question
- Personalize titles
- Use keywords in the title
- Use power words (Free, Discover, Secrets, etc.) in the title
#7. Write with passion and purpose
You know why many bloggers do not get successful with blogging? It is because they don’t write with passion and a clear purpose.
Here are some useful tips you can use while writing:
- Write what you are passionate about
- Try to find out something that you can be passionate about
- Write only when you are in a writing mood
- Read others who write passionately and fetch unique ideas
- Always listen to your muse
Don’t write when you have nothing to say. Because if you write without a passion or purpose, no one will like reading your post.
#8. Encourage Your Readers to Take the Next Action
You want more comments, likes, and shares on your post. Right?
And you will not get these until you encourage your readers to take the next action.
Do you ever ask your audiences to comment?
If you don’t ask your readers to take any action, they will be less likely to take it themselves:
- If you want people to comment on your blog post, invite them to do it
- If you want people to subscribe your newsletter, ask them to subscribe
- If you want people to purchase your product or services, give them a reason to buy
- If you want people to come back to your website again, motivate them to get back for more
#9. Tell Stories
People love stories whether it is about you or someone else as long as it is entertaining.
Stories are one of the powerful ways to connecting, encouraging, and teaching your readers.
Here are why storytelling is important:
- To teach a history of a culture
- To emotionally feel what other human beings feel that we haven’t
- A story can put your whole brain to work
- It’s important that we share our experiences with other people
- The story rests the direction of life in the hands of the listeners
So, the next time you are writing a blog post, you must do storytelling instead of writing a simple blog post.
#10. Write Visually Appealing Content
Visual content is a powerful tool to increase audience engagement. Today’s audiences demand fresh, unique and entertaining blog posts rather than only plain text.
Videos, infographics, photos, and slideshows are perfect ingredients to make the blog posts more appealing to the readers.
Here are some benefits of using visual content in your blog posts:
- Visual content generates more views for your blog posts
- A blog post having graphics and visual elements in it gets 94% more clicks as compared to a blog post that lacks visual content
- Content can get 44% more views if it has both photos and videos
- Posts with photos get 53% more likes and 104% comments than those without
- Visual content makes your blog memorable
Keep in mind when you are using visual content in your posts, you must make it relevant to your content.
Never use inappropriate visual elements in your content.
Practice leads to perfection.
The old saying of “practice makes a man perfect” is true for many aspects of life – including blogging.
The best way to improve your writing is to write no matter what the situation is.
Here are some tips to encourage yourself to write:
- Set yourself assignments for writing.
- Write for several mediums(blogs, newspapers, magazines, etc.)
- Write as a guest blogger.
- Read and analyze the writing of other bloggers
- Write to provide answers on Q/A sites
Which advice are you going to use? Please leave a comment if you have any suggestions?